MOVE Santa Barbara County is a medium-sized non-profit which works throughout Santa Barbara County. Our mission is to promote walking, bicycling and public transit county-wide to create healthy, sustainable, and equitable communities. We oversee events, encourage students, families and the broader community to use active transportation and advocate for safer streets. We operate three community-oriented bicycle shops in Santa Maria and Santa Barbara called Bici Centro.
This is an exciting opportunity to manage and grow a program that moves us away from car culture towards a more healthy and active lifestyle. The primary focus of the Education & Encouragement Coordinator will be to work closely with local schools to increase the number of students walking and biking to school. Essential tasks include building relationships with school personnel, students and parents; understanding infrastructure design; developing campaigns; teaching classes; training teachers and parents to further program goals; writing reports and tracking participation. Schools are located in the Santa Barbara area and include working with students from kindergarten to 12th-grade.
Successful candidates will possess strong skills in the following areas:
- Proactive and Enterprising. Ability to listen, creatively problem solve, and get things done with a focus on increasing the number of youth walking and bicycling to school.
- Communication: Ability to engage and build relationships with students, teachers, parents, program partners and co-workers; excellent verbal, written, listening and presentation skills.
- Leadership: Experience leading active transportation efforts at schools; comfortable speaking with diverse stakeholders, able to inspire, teach, and build a team.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or three years related experience.
- Proficiency in English and Spanish.
- Skilled at bicycling and bicycle maintenance.
- Valid U.S. driver’s license and ability to drive a pickup truck with trailer.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple tasks.
- Experience using word processing, spreadsheet and database programs (MS Office and Google Workspace).
- Willingness to take on additional work functions as needed.
- Must pass annual background checks required to work with children.
- MOVE Santa Barbara County is an equal opportunity employer. Religion, age, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, race, or color do not affect hiring, promotion, development opportunities, pay, or benefits. MOVE provides for fair treatment of employees based on merit. The company complies with all applicable federal, state, and local labor laws.
- Coordination o Develop and build partnerships with school personnel, students and parents.
- Communicate and meet regularly with various stakeholders.
- Attend school functions to build relationships that foster active transportation culture.
- Facilitate discussions about barriers to walking and bicycling.
- Pursue and establish relationships that grow walking and bicycling culture at the schools.
- Organize activities that encourage more students to walk and bike to school.
- Schedule bicycle and pedestrian education and safety classes in schools and in the community.
- Design and deliver programs and campaigns that increase the number of students walking and biking to school.
- Assess pedestrian and bicycle infrastructure along school routes and lead advocacy initiatives for change.
- Teach pedestrian and bike safety lessons in a classroom environment.
- Teach, set up and break down bicycle skills courses and pedestrian safety courses.
- Manage program budget and deliverables.
- Maintain accurate records to track and report participation. o Produce reports.
HOURS AND COMPENSATION:
Compensation: $20-24 per hour depending on experience. We offer paid time off for sick leave and vacation, a 401k investment plan and contributions towards a Health Savings Account. This is a part time or full-time position based out of our office in Santa Barbara, CA. The position requires short-distance travel and some evening and weekend availability for special events and classes.
To apply, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org (Position open until filled):
- Cover letter including salary expectations.
- Resume highlighting relevant experience and qualifications.
- Supplemental material: Please provide examples of the following (they will be used to judge your organizational, writing and software skills – not your knowledge of our organization):
- A memo highlighting a program(s) or initiative(s) you believe would increase the number of students walking and bicycling to school.
- A spreadsheet of an example program budget. (No more than five rows of data are necessary.)