The Anti-HungerCorps VISTA program aims to reduce hunger and, poverty, and build the capacity of the agencies that address these issues. Members will build the capacity of the organization to assist unemployed and underemployed people obtain job training, job placement, and financial literacy services; improve access to food from government and nonprofit sources for targeted populations in particular and food insecure people in general; enable residents of food deserts to access healthier foods through farmers markets and community gardens; help more low-income children to obtain free school breakfasts and summer meals; enable nonprofit groups fighting hunger and poverty to raise more money and recruit and manage more volunteers, particularly high-impact and skilled volunteers.
The Foodbank of Santa Barbara County is committed to being a leader in Santa Barbara County and the Feeding America network for volunteer and employee engagement, learning, and development. By bringing members of our community into our organization, and giving them significant responsibility and involvement in running programs, leading other volunteers, and providing subject-matter expertise, we can scale our activities to a degree sufficient to end hunger and transform the health of the community through good nutrition.
The Education and Outreach Coordinator VISTA is a fellowship position. They are responsible for assisting the Education Manager with creating and providing monthly educational trainings for the community, attending outreach events, and assisting with social media content creation.
- Assist in creating and providing monthly educational trainings
- Research and develop avenues to provide nutrition education to families, both in Spanish and English
- Research and develop avenues to provide nutrition education to seniors, both in Spanish and English
- Conduct surveys to solicit community input to inform program development
- Create educational content such as flyers, boards, social media post and videos
- Assist with campaigns on social media to engage the audience
- Other duties as assigned or delegated
- Education and/or work experience in a nutrition-related field
- Ability to meet deadlines while managing multiple tasks and requests
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to communicate effectively in both English and Spanish
- Bilingual (English/Spanish), required. Mixteco is a plus
- Must be located in commutable distance to Santa Barbara County, have reliable transportation, and able to attend community outreach events regularly
- Familiarity with social media platforms and digital marketing strategies is beneficial
- Basic Microsoft Office, Canva and Microsoft Excel skills and ability to navigate or learn web-based programs
- Passion for promoting food security, community well-being, and equitable access to resources
- Ability to occasionally work weekends and evenings
- Ability to pass a background check, drug screen, and Motor Vehicle Record Check
HOURS AND COMPENSATION:
This is a one year, full-time position beginning as soon as possible. You are expected to be available for the needs of your community and project at all times, including days, nights and weekends. Because AmeriCorps VISTA service requires a full immersion in the project and community, there are restrictions on outside full-time employment, along with some restrictions on political and religious activities. For more information, please review the AmeriCorps VISTA Terms, Conditions and Benefits information available here - http://bit.ly/1dAs2FM.
Duration: November 2023 – October 2024
- Living allowance, paid biweekly
- Segal Education Award ($6,895.00) or End-of-Service Stipend ($1,800)
- Opportunity to forbear or defer student loans while in service
- Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
- Childcare Assistance (if applicable)
- Optional Health Insurance
- One-year non-competitive status for US federal government positions
- A network of over 180,000 AmeriCorps VISTA volunteers and alums
Email Kelly Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume.